From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:07:12
1 Hi,
2
3 Grant Edwards wrote:
4
5 > On 2013-04-03, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Have you read the news item?
8 >
9 > Yes. I found it rather confusing.
10 >
11 > It refers to a "new format" for rules, but the examples use the exact
12 > same format as the old rules.
13 >
14 > It talks about how 80-net-name-slot.rules needs to be either an empty
15 > file or a synmlink to /dev/null if you want to disable the new naming
16 > scheme -- but that doesn't seem to be right. After the upgrade my
17 > 80-net-name-slot.rules file was neither an empty file nor a symlink to
18 > /dev/null, but I'm still getting the same old names.
19
20 same for me. I followed the upgrade guide and removed any 70-* files,
21 renamed the net.eth0 link to the new scheme net.enp0s1 just to to find out
22 that the kernel could not bring up a network with the such a device. The
23 machine booted fine after using eth0 instead again. One a second machine I
24 kept eth0 immediately and it booted without problems afterwards.
25
26 >> It explains why the file should be renamed and also why you should
27 >> change the names in the rules to not use ethN.
28 >
29 > The only explanation I found was "the old way is now deprecated".
30
31 And the new name simply did not work.
32
33 - Jörg