From: Noven Purnell-Webb <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wpa_supplicant and at&t 2wire gateway
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 00:55:16
1 On Sunday 23 November 2008 11:05:40 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Sunday 23 November 2008 01:14:41 John Blinka wrote:
3 > > I've recently subscribed to AT&T's u-verse which came with a
4 > > 2wire 3800hgv-b wireless gateway. On the windows side, my
5 > > dual-booting Dell laptop picked up the signal and connected
6 > > trivially. I've had no such success on the linux side.
7 > >
8 > > The gateway claims to use WPA-PSK authentication and TKIP
9 > > encryption. My supplicant.conf file looks like:
10 > >
11 > > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
12 > >
13 > > network={
14 > > ssid="my_ssid"
15 > > psk="my_password"
16 > > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
17 > > proto=WPA
18 > > pairwise=TKIP
19 > > }
20 > >
21 > > wpa_gui provides the following information for a few seconds:
22 > >
23 > > adapter: ath0
24 > > network: 0: my_ssid
25 > > status: SCANNING
26 > > last message: Disconnect event - remove keys
27 > > authentication:
28 > > encryption:
29 > > ssid:
30 > > bssid:
31 > > ip address:
32 > >
33 > > then displays:
34 > >
35 > > adapter: ath0
36 > > network: 0: my_ssid
37 > > status: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE
38 > > last message: ASSOCIATED WITH 00:22:a4:0d:23:89
39 > > authentication: WPA-PSK
40 > > encryption: TKIP
41 > > ssid: my_ssid
42 > > bssid: 00:22:a4:0d:23:89
43 > > ip address:
44 > >
45 > > and then cycles between these two sets of information.
46 > >
47 > > I can't pretend that I understand what's going on, and I haven't
48 > > found any enlightenment in web searches. Does anyone know
49 > > what this means, where I'm stuck, and how to go forward?
50 > >
51 > > Thanks for any help,
52 > >
53 > > John Blinka
54 >
55 > I would suggest before trying the "hard way", to use Networkmanager and
56 > knetworkmanaget. If you have success with that, then you can try the other
57 > way
58 >
59 > Other wifi guis are wlassistant or wifiradar. Give them a try
60
61 Perhps you are authenticating but then not getting a dhcp address.
62 Try adding
63 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
64 wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
65 config_ath0=( "dhcp" )