From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 08:03:14
1 On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 18:12:11 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I just received the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook and I'm trying to
5 > install Gentoo but I can't get install-amd64-minimal-20120223.iso to
6 > boot via a USB key. I installed it to two different USB keys via
7 > unetbootin but I get this right after it asks for the keymap:
8 >
9 > Looking for the cdrom
10 > Attempting to mount media:- /dev/sda1
11 > Attempting to mount media:- /dev/sda2
12 > Attempting to mount media:- /dev/sda3
13 > Attempting to mount media - /dev/sda4
14 > Media not found
15 > No bootable medium found. Waiting for new devices...
16 > Could not find CD to boot, something else needed!
17 > Determining root device...
18 > Could not find the root block device in .
19 >
20 > It must be reading the USB key fine or it never would have gotten that
21 > far. Maybe it has no drivers for the disk controller, but then why
22 > does it reference the cdrom? I tried the nosata and ide=nodma options
23 > to no avail.
24
25 Use some other distro on the USB device to get you a chroot.
26
27 Check BIOS carefully. Some of those options can dick with booting
28 immensely
31 Alan McKinnnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com