From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install a more recent version of LaTeX package
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:16:42
1 Am Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:14:09 -0300
2 schrieb José Romildo Malaquias <j.romildo@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Hello.
5
6 Hi,
7
8 > What is the best way of updating a given LaTeX package in gentoo to the
9 > latest available version on CTAN?
10 >
11 > The installed version of tcolorbox is 2.32, provided by
12 > dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2013, and I need version 2.51, available
13 > on CTAN.
14 >
15 > There used to be a package called g-ctan that could be used in this
16 > situation. But it has been masked.
17 >
18 > Any clues?
19
20 I was curious myself, and from what I found there are only two ways to go
21 about this:
22
23 - if you install texlive outside of portage, using for example the network
24 install, you can use tlmgr to install packages
25 (https://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html)
26
27 - install the package manually into $TEXMFHOME (usually ~/texmf, see the output
28 of "kpsexpand '$TEXMFHOME'")
29
30 For both I found instructions at
31 https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Installing_Extra_Packages (a pretty good
32 wikibook in general IMHO). Also, I found some better (AFAICT) instructions at
33 http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/30307/how-to-install-latex-zip-package-from-ctan-using-texhash-on-a-nix-system.
34
35 Or maybe you can see if you can get someone to update the g-ctan package,
36 which is masked due to incorrect dependencies (it depends on the now
37 non-existent texlive 2011 packages).
38
39 But really, I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a tool that can install
40 packages from CTAN locally into $TEXMFHOME directly.
41
42 HTH
43 --
44 Marc Joliet
45 --
46 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
47 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup