From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Why RAID1?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:54:30
1 On Mittwoch 17 Dezember 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > I'm about to buy a couple Samsung Spinpoint F1 hard drives and I was
3 > planning on setting them up in a RAID0 array. Everyone seems to love
4 > RAID1 though, and I'm a little confused as to why. Don't daily
5 > backups secure 99% of the data that RAID1 does? They even protect in
6 > the event of theft or fire which RAID1 doesn't.
7
8 raid does not replace backups.
11 > If one hard drive dies in a RAID1 array, does the system keep running?
12
13 yes, and that is whay raid1 (with two disks) is a good idea.
14
15 > If so, that's good, but there are so many other components that could
16 > die. In 15 years I've lost the power supply, video card, modem,
17 > motherboard, and CPU, but never a hard drive. With all these
18 > potential points of failure, how much greater system reliability do
19 > mirrored hard drives really offer?
20
21 I had a PSU killing two mobos - and I had half a douzend harddisk failures in
22 12 PC years. Everything else never died. Even the PSUs going bad did it so
23 slowly that there was enough of time to get a replacement.
24 Harddisks sucks - Raid1,5,6 make the sucking less painfull.