From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resize /
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:34:20
1 jakommo writes:
2
3 > On 11/16/06, geistteufel <geistteufel@×××××.fr> wrote:
4
5 > > If you have opt in your / I suggest to move it and doing a symlink
6 > >
7 > > like cd /; mv opt usr; ln -s usr/opt .
8 > For now I think maybe its better to make some new partitions and copy the
9 > stuff to them by using a live cd and then adjust fstab and/or make
10 > symlinks. the problem is the maschine is a server and I dont want it to
11 > be down for a long time, its only used for cups at the moment, but I
12 > think its more secure to quit the idea of resizing and do it the mount
13 > and symlink way. another benefit of this way is I can prepare everything
14 > so I only need to reboot with a live cd to copy the files and thats it.
15
16 I don't think there is a neeed to boot from CD for that. Just copy /usr (or
17 whatever directory you like) to its new destination, rename /usr and create
18 the symlink instantly after that:
19
20 cp -pr /usr /newdrive/
21 mv /usr /usr.old && /usr.old/bin/ln -s /newdrive/usr /
22
23 This makes /usr unavailable for a fraction of seconds only. Programs
24 currently using files in /usr should not be affected, when the files are
25 still open it should not matter if they are renamed as long as they stay on
26 the same partition.
27
28 Alex
29 --