From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSDs, ext4, fstrim, discard ...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:57:41
1 As mentioned in the systemd-posting I migrated back to an SSD today (on
2 my main rig, the thinkpad uses an SSD happily for a long time now).
3
4 A feature in a local magazine updated my knowledge of how to make use of
5 the TRIM-command.
6
7 It told me not to use the mount-option "discard" anymore, but run fstrim
8 on the mountpoint frequently.
9
10 OK, I learn ;-)
11
12 But, AFAI understand, after trimming sectors/bytes on the
13 filesystem/partition, they should be trimmed. I expect X bytes to be
14 trimmed at first and if I repeat the command, I expect 0 (or something
15 pretty low) bytes to be trimmed then, ok?
16
17 This is what I wonder about:
18
19 ~ # fstrim -v /
20 /: 6195433472 bytes were trimmed
21 ~ # fstrim -v /
22 /: 6195433472 bytes were trimmed
23 ~ # fstrim -v /
24 /: 6195433472 bytes were trimmed
27 I tested it with "discard" on and off.
28
29 / is ext4, yes, and on an SSD, yup.
30
31 Do I misunderstand things here?