From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] problems with Rp-pppoe 3.7
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:51:06
1 I just updated to Rp-pppoe 3.7 & encountered 2 problems.
2
3 (1) /etc/init.d/rp-pppoe was not altered, so ADSL didn't start,
4 even though the start/stop scripts have been renamed ('pppoe' for 'adsl').
5 I edited rp-pppoe to use the new script names & this corrected the problem,
6 so that my Internet connection does now start at boot time,
7 but does anyone know where the scripts in /etc/init.d come from ?
8 I would assume that if Rp-pppoe 3.7 has changed the names of the scripts
9 -- /usr/sbin/adsl-start becomes pppoe-start -- ,
10 it should change the script in /etc/init.d too, but it didn't.
11
12 (2) The system is trying to set the clock from NTP before ADSL starts:
13 "Setting clock via NTP client 'ntpdate' ... can't find ... pool.ntp.org";
14 of course, it can't find it, as there is not Internet at that point !
15 Can someone point me to the script which controls the order of these ?
16
17 Yes, I did do etc-update & pppoe-setup & rc-update .
18
19 I've checked the Forum, where a couple of users report problems with 3.7 ,
20 & Bugs, which was very slow connecting, so I'm trying the list.
21
22 Has anyone else encountered any of this ?
23 Should I simply report a bug ?
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list