From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMB/CIFS or NFS?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:55:22
1 On 4/20/2011 9:21 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Okay, I'm combining the portage distfiles dir into a storage server.
3 >
4 > Problem: the storage server is Windows 2003.
5 >
6 > Question: should I mount the distfile dir using SMB/CIFS or NFS? Is
7 > there any performance and/or complexity issues?
8
9 My own anecdotal experience thus far has been that CIFS,
10 "out-of-the-box", outperforms NFS and just generally works better when
11 the underlying OS is Windows. (Caveat: I have not used NFS Services in
12 2008, only 2003R2 and SFU).
13
14 As far as complexity: if you are running Windows 2003 R2 then NFS
15 Services are built-in, and once you start the services, creating and
16 managing an NFS share through the UI is basically the same as creating
17 and managing a CIFS one, except for the differences in how the security
18 model works. Setting up CIFS on a Linux client is simple enough, and
19 also not that much more complex than setting up NFS.
20
21 If you're running Windows 2003 non-R2 and want NFS, you'll need the
22 Services for UNIX component, at which point I would contend it's not
23 worth the effort.
24
25 --Mike