From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:50:43
1 On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 3:12 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > >>-----Original Message-----
6 > >>From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
7 > >>Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 11:41 AM
8 > >>To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > >>Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TLD for home LAN?
10 > >>
11 > >>On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net> wrote:
12 > >>>
13 > >>> The standard does not prohibit the names being resolvable via unicast DNS as well, though it does recommend that you make sure the two resolution paths return consistent results since most systems will take the first response they get.
14 > >>
15 > >>If a host queries DNS first, and obtains an NXDOMAIN from an authoritative name server, I'm not sure most would even check mDNS. I think I had that issue back when I was using .local before I heard of zeroconfig.
16 > >>
17 >
18 > Right. If you have .local names registered with your DNS, but not resolvable via mDNS...
19
20 No, I'm talking about the opposite situation. I'm talking about you
21 have foo.local resolvable via mDNS, but not DNS - then there is a
22 chance you won't be able to access the host. Basically having an
23 authoritative nameserver for .local may disable mDNS on your network
24 for some devices.
27 Rich