From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 16:51:58
1 Hello, Dale.
2
3 Sorry for not replying earlier, I've had a rotten week.
4
5 On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 17:35:19 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7 > > Hello, Gentoo.
8
9 > > I'm having problems with my machine hanging or rebooting spontaneously.
10 > > It's doing this, perhaps, every three or four weeks. I think that when
11 > > I'm in X, the system usually reboots, when I'm on a tty, it hangs.
12
13 > > This phenomenon has, up till now, been just below the level at which
14 > > it's annoying enough to do something about. But my machine just hung on
15 > > me a few minutes ago, and now it's definitely reached tha threshold
16 > > where spending effort fixing it seems justified.
17
18 > > My actual Gentoo installation is fine, in fact, so good that I've not
19 > > needed to post to the list for a long time. :-)
20
21 > > My system is an AMD Ryzen processor on an Asus Prime X370-Pro mainboard,
22 > > and is just over a year old. I don't think my RAM is unstable (though
23 > > it's been a long time since I've run that RAM checking program).
24
25 > > I honestly suspect the firmware on the mainboard. When it was new, the
26 > > board was practically unusable - with two sticks of RAM installed, it
27 > > would crash after about 1 - 3 minutes. With just one stick of RAM, it
28 > > stayed up long enough to install new firmware (version 0604), which
29 > > appeared to be stable.
30
31 > > Going back to Asus's firmware page, there appear to have been many
32 > > subsequent versions of the firmware released during the last year.
33 > > Would it be a good idea for me to download and attempt to install the
34 > > latest version? Is this in any way risky? (My mains supply is
35 > > reliable.)
36
37 > > Other than that, suggestions as to what to do would be welcome.
38
39 > > Thanks!
43 > This is the type of problem that I hate having.  Intermittent problems
44 > are hard to diagnose.  Just when you think you got it fixed, it does it
45 > again.  The post from madscientist has some good info including some
46 > things I've tried successfully in the past, with other peoples
47 > computers.  The biggest culprit, dust on fans/heat sinks and sometimes
48 > heat sinks just falling off of chips.  I've had that happen a few times
49 > on those south bridge type chips.  Usually they are glued on and after
50 > several years, they can pop off.  When they get hot, they slow down, a
51 > lot, to protect themselves but make a computer very slow.  Stick the
52 > heat sink back on, off it goes again.  Still, dust is a huge problem.  I
53 > take a air hose to mine at least twice a year, spring time for sure to
54 > be ready for summer heat.
55
56 I will take the cover off of the case and get rid of dust. The
57 machine's only really bin in use since ~August 2017, so I don't expect
58 there to be all that much dust in it.
59
60 > For the static, a finger trigger type spray bottle with water and a
61 > small amount of fabric softener works well, smells good too.
62
63 Each to his own. ;-)
64
65 > I haven't tried dish detergent like madscientist mentioned but if he
66 > says it works and you don't have fabric softener handy, give it a
67 > try.
68
69 I think I'd stick to the dish detergent (is that what we call "washing
70 up liquid" in Britain?).
71
72 > As to upgrading firmware.  I have a Gigabyte mobo that has that dual
73 > BIOS thing.  That said, I've never had to resort to the backup.  The
74 > updates went smoothly and only took a few minutes.  If ASUS has
75 > something similar, may want to know how to use it just in case.
76
77 I don't think the ASUS has a dual BIOS. If they did, they'd've
78 mentioned it in the manual under "UNIQUE FEATURES!!!".
79
80 > The biggest thing, not losing power during the update.  As
81 > madscientist mentioned, a UPS comes in handy there.
82
83 The power here in Nuremberg is reliable indeed. Since I've been in my
84 current flat (~10 years), I can't remember even a single power cut.
85 What does happen occasionally (every two or three weeks) is that a
86 circuit breaker trips when I flick on the wall switch prior to powering
87 up the machine. Maybe that's something to do with hitting exactly the
88 wrong spot of the 50Hz sinusoidal wave. Again it doesn't bother me too
89 badly.
90
91 > In my experience tho, they have always worked fairly well.  The
92 > biggest thing, now exactly what steps to take before you start.
93 > Mistakes could cause issues.
94
95 Yes. As I said, I updated the BIOS once before. I think I'll do so
96 again, though it seems John has had the same experience as me and has
97 already tried an upgrade, without much luck.
98
99 > You mentioned having problems with having more memory installed.  Was
100 > the firmware upgrade supposed to fix *that* problem?  In other words, is
101 > it a known issue that needed a fix?
102
103 I don't recall seeing it in ASUS's release notes (which, though better
104 than AMD's, are nothing to write home about). I upgraded the BIOS as a
105 last desperate measure before taking the PC back to the shop.
106
107 > I ask because of this.  Could it be that your power supply, regardless
108 > of what rating it claims, isn't quite up to standards and that little
109 > extra power causes issues?  It's something to think about.  It's hard
110 > to know what power supplies are really good or not.  Generally, I like
111 > to find one that has been tested and known to be good.  I'll post
112 > links at the bottom just in case you are interested.
113
114 My power supply is a 400W "be quiet" STRAIGHT POWER E10 80PLUS Gold.
115 But I don't think it's the power supply at fault. If it was, the
116 machine would crash when all 8 cores were busy building Libre Office.
117 But it doesn't: the crashes are random, unconnected which large power
118 draw.
119
120 > If you have checked the cooling and such, then it may be time for a
121 > firmware upgrade if it is supposed to fix this type of problem.  I'd try
122 > to rule out all else first tho.
123
124 I fear that the problem is a defective processor or mainboard. :-(
125
126 > Some links that may interest you.
127
128 > http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13
129
130 I didn't find my power supply in their lists. But, my, there appear to
131 be a lot of them (nearly 500 different models).
132
133 > https://www.tomshardware.com/t/power-supplies/
134
135 > http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/589708-Recommended-PSU-s-True-Tested
138 > I think somewhere on the overclockers site there is a list of known bad
139 > power supplies.  They are supplies that people have tested and they
140 > failed, some in spectacular fashion.  Several included smoke and a few
141 > some fireworks.  Several just had ripple/noise that was outside the
142 > limits.  I think the first links has some of those listed too.
143
144 > I hope you find a solution soon.  Random things are aggravating.
145
146 Thanks!
147
148 > Dale
149
153 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).