From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub-install vs. manual install
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:30:54
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:54:59 +0000
4 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > > If you want (or are forced) to have /boot and your MBR on different
7 > > harddrives (*not* partitions) invoke grub and do the manual install as
8 > > described in the handbook rather than use grub-install which simply
9 > > assumes they are on the same drive.
10 >
11 > I've found grub-install to be flakey on a number of occasions, so I
12 > always do it manually.
13
14 +1. Grub-install did never (okay, in many cases) the right thing and
15 made things too complicated. I usually have a grub CD flying around
16 (see "info grub" on how to create one -- but your linux distro of
17 choice may have one if not using syslinux/isolinux). In the earlier
18 days that was a grub-floppy, but I don't bother using likely to be
19 defective floppies anymore...
20
21 Letting grub install from its "native" environment (rather than under
22 the kernel's regency) has proven to be rock-solid, esp. regarding
23 device enumeration. OTOH, be sure which partition's or disk's boot
24 sector you're writing to...
25
26 > there's only two commands to remember and type,
27 > sometime I even manage it without reading the docs :)
28
29 Bahhh, grub has "help"! :-)
30
31 -hwh