From: Holla <holla.net@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Which is worse: Power fail during hibernation or powerdown ?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:52:22
1 Hi,
2
3 I am wondering which is worse: if the power were to fail when the
4 system is preparing for hibernation (after the hibernate command) or
5 when the system is powering down ?
6
7 Here is the background for this..
8
9 I am in the process of configuring NUT (networkupstools.org) on my
10 gentoo system. For the shutdown option in low battery condition
11 I have hibernation or powerdown as choices.
12
13 My problem is that my UPS is not directly supported by NUT. However
14 using the common driver (megatec) I could get some support but
15 the following key problem exists.
16
17 "....
18 UPS status: 210.1 210.1 209.0 011 49.4 41.0 40.0 00001001
19 36.0V battery, present voltage (41.0V) outside of supported intervals.
20 This UPS has an unsupported combination of battery voltage/number of batteries.
21 ....
22 "
23
24 NUT mailing list has some info regarding how manually one can
25 enter the batter voltage information. Fear now is that while this
26 trial and error process of configuring is going on, NUT and the UPS may
27 not co-operate and hence detect the low-battery condition in right time.
28 So I am wondering which shutdown option is better atleast during this
29 step.
30
31 Regards
32 Sathish