From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nvidia w/ water cooling?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:47:49
1 Hello,
2
3 > Date: 2006-11-17 18:36:15 GMT (2 days, 2 hours and 53 minutes ago)
4
5 I could not followup via gmane on a discussion about high end video cards,
6 so I'm just posing my latest resonse to the Richard Fish comment on
7 cooling and noise problems:
12 Air cooling is sufficient if you have a good case (/richard smiles at
13 his Antec P150). The main reason to use water coolers is to reduce
14 the noise of the system, so you can use a much larger (and slower thus
15 quieter) fan to cool the GPU(s). AMD procs run fairly cool, and both
16 the case and CPU fans on my AMD X2 4400 system are basically silent
17 even under high load. But the system isn't anywhere near silent,
18 because of that damn GPU fan.
19
20 -Richard
21
22 Well the nvidia 8800 comes with water cooling, which should be quieter.
23 Anyone have any issues with water cooling under gentoo? Is this able
24 to be monitored via ACPI or specialized software that works with Gentoo?
25
26 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2665662&sku=B52-8004
27
28 Are the nvidia binaries for this card stable on gentoo(xorg 7.1)?
29
30 This page does not list the "BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Water Cooling Edition / 768MB
31 GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card with 1/4” Fittings"
32 card as either working or being a problem. At $800.00 I would
33 hope that performance under gentoo (xorg 7.1) is flawless?
34
35 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Video_Card_Support_Under_XGL
38 comments are most welcome as I do not want a gaming system that only
39 runs Winblows.....
42 James
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list