From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken/eff issue with suspend-to-disk/hibernate problem [Was: The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:04:39
1 On Mon, March 19, 2012 3:56 pm, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy writes:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 18:30 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >
6 >> > My laptop has used dracut since months ago, and suspends/resumes just
7 >> > fine, as it does my media center.
8 >
9 >> Genkernel doesnt, bugs and work arounds on gentoo bugzilla, with angry
10 >> comments from a dev that it wont be supported and to not file bugs for
11 >> it - now that dev has moved on I dont know if enough has changed to test
12 >> the waters and file a bug again.
13 >>
14 >> Its missing a hook in the initrd to call the binary that starts the
15 >> resume process.
16 >
17 > Huh? I don't use this at the moment, because suspend-to-ram is enough for
18 > me, but it (that is, the initramfs part) used to work just fine out of the
19 > box for me, also opening my LUKS-encrypted root volume being on LVM. It
20 > also seemed to work on another Gentoo PC I installed recently, although
21 > TuxOnIce itself does not work so the resume fails. Argh, this suspend to
22 > disk stuff NEVER really worked for me, and I tried for years on different
23 > systems.
24
25 I had it working a long time ago, but the last time I tried it I ended up
26 with a bit of a problem:
27
28 I don't want a swap-partition on the SSD in my netbook. So I want it to
29 use the SD-card that's permanently plugged in. Problem is, it's connected
30 via an internal USB-port and USB is killed before the writing-proces for
31 the suspend-to-disk starts.
32
33 Anyone know a solution short of rewriting the kernel? ;)
36 Joost