From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: make oldconfig
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 02:39:01
1 James wrote:
2 > Dale <dalek1967 <at> bellsouth.net> writes:
6 > Well, the reason I asked is for clarity.
7 > I found this gentoo doc, which seems a little dated:
10 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/
11 > HOWTO_Detailed_Kernel_Configuration
14 > So what I gleen is that you run on
15 > a kernel, say version linux-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
16 >
17 > You down load newer sources, say version
18 > linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
19 >
20 > cd /usr/src
21 >
22 > rm linux
23 >
24 > ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 linux
25 >
26 > make oldconfig <???>
27 > make menuconfig
28 >
29 > cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
30 > cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
31 > cp .config /boot/config-2.6.25-gentoo-r7
34 > edit grub apppropriately
35 > and reboot to the new kernel?
38 > This is what I do, but I do not use the oldconfig command.
39 >
40 > A friend asked me how I build new kernel on gentoo and
41 > I was hoping to find a current howto, that does not
42 > use genkernel and such. I did not have any luck finding one
43 > (although I did not look very hard).
46 > Any suggestions are appreciated. The aforementioned howto
47 > suggest that make oldconfig, xconfig and menuconfig are
48 > alternate ways? Maybe your not suppose to mix oldconfig
49 > with menuconfig?
50 >
51 > The reason I ask is some 2.6.23 to 2.6.24. to 2.6.25
52 > kernel have lost setting (selected options) using
53 > menuconfig alone. However, for a while the selected
54 > options were always correctly included using the above
55 > steps (without using oldconfig command syntax).
58 > This is the source of my need for some clarity.
59 > Maybe an updated howto is what is really needed?
60 > One that skips genkernel and such?
63 > James
67 I think this is going to be a debate sort of like which is better, KDE
68 or Gnome? I have to say, when I run make oldconfig, I don't run make
69 menuconfig unless I have some problems. I'm not saying that is the
70 right way either. A lot of this may depend on the situation and
71 hardware. I'm sort of like this, if you run make oldconfig then what is
72 there to change when running make menuconfig afterwards?
73
74 My recommendation, run make oldconfig and answer no to most everything
75 if your hardware works currently. Keep in mind, most new stuff is for
76 new hardware. The only exception may be some of the new stuff with
77 regard to managing the CPU and such. Those you may want to research.
78 Also keep in mind that help is available even during the make
79 oldconfig. Hit the question mark for that. After that, make your
80 kernel and give it a run. Save your old working one just in case.
81
82 Another thing to do before copying your old config, run make mrproper or
83 make mrclean. Those will give you a fresh new kernel source.
84
85 I'm not aware of a "current" howto. May can try google for Linux?
86 www.google.com/linux
87
88 Dale
89