From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtual Desktop with a Virtual Monitor?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 22:33:49
1 On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:39:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 4 as a utility divice for a
4 > couple of purposes - a backup server for here at home as well as an
5 > astrophotography manager to run my camera and mount. So far everything
6 > is fine when I have a monitor attached. I can ssh in and run X apps,
7 > and I can run the VNC client and control the desktop.
8 >
9 > What I find, however, is that when I boot the RP4 without the
10 > monitor attached, which I would be doing most all the time, I lose the
11 > desktop functionality through VNC. I can still ssh X apps, and both
12 > xdpyinfo and xrandr still say the X resolution is 1920 x 1280, but
13 > there doesn't appear to be a real desktop for VNC to latch onto.
14
15 Try x2go instead of VNC. It uses SSH to establish the connection and
16 start a desktop session, so there is no need for the user to have a
17 desktop running on the remote machine beforehand.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Last words of a Windows user: = Why does that work now?