From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with openrc-0.18.4 and ifplugd
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 20:34:33
1 On 21/12/2015 19:21, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 21 December 2015 14:06:25 James wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hmmmm. I would think most folks running openrc are also not using udev
5 >> but are using eudev [1]? From what I read/understand openrc is in the
6 >> process of removal from @system, for all profiles?
7 >
8 > I don't know about that, but I'm certainly using udev with openrc.
9 >
10 > While I'm here, is there any practical difference between world and @world,
11 > or between system and @system?
15 There are no differences in practice, it's a semantic thing.
16
17 Portage used "emerge world" from the very beginning (lifted from FreeBSD
18 ports) and it's still supported today even though technically and
19 semantically "emerge @world" is more correct - world is at heart a set.
20
21 It's mentioned in one of portage's man pages, IIRC in emerge (1) but
22 right now I don't have the inclination to look. That is left as an
23 exercise for the interested reader.
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com