From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Opera and Konqueror won't print, but FF works fine
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:04:47
1 On Tuesday 14 September 2010 02:18:22 James wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > [ebuild R ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r2 USE="X acl dbus gnutls jpeg
4 > > ldap pam
5 > >
6 > > [ebuild R ] net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1 USE="X hpcups hpijs libnotify
7 > > qt4 -
8 >
9 > Hello Mick,
10 >
11 > I got a new hp printer and had to use the latest testing versions
12 > of cups and hplip to get it working correctly:
13 >
14 > net-print/cups-1.4.4 (X acl dbus gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl php png
15 > python slp ssl threads tiff usb)
16 > net-print/hplip-3.10.6(X hpcups libnotify qt4 scanner snmp)
17 >
18 > Sometimes also you have to delete a setup and set the printer
19 > up from scratch.
20 >
21 > However, I think your problems are related to the fact it's a pdf........
22 > being printed from a browser? PDF files are all that is broken with
23 > Opera
24 >
25 > Unfortunately, when I have printer problems, I just have to keep hacking
26 > at it. Solutions never seem methodical for me. I also keep backups of
27 > old config files in /etc/cups directory, to sometimes manually hack at the
28 > relevant config files.....
29
30 Thanks James,
31
32 I have not ticked the box that says "print to file" in Opera.
33
34 In Konqueror the Output file is greyed out.
35
36 Therefore assume that both applications should be sending the data to the
37 printer ...
38
39 The error file for Konqueror mentions pdf, but the Opera and Firefox show
40 postcript:
41
42 I [27/Jun/2010:11:29:28 +0100] [Job ???] Request file type is
43 application/postscript.
44
45 Do I now need more than the hplip driver perhaps?
46
47 BTW, a second box (x86) can print from Opera, but the page has areas which are
48 blacked out. Konq prints but always in colour even when I select greyscale
49 and Firefox works fine.
50
51 This all must have started a month ago or so.
52 --
53 Regards,
54 Mick