From: "Johan Blåbäck" <johan.bluecreek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] kacpid eating alot of cpu
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:57:14
1 Hi.
2
3 My laptop is in great need of cpu frequency scaling and sleep (it
4 overheats in 10 minutes of compiling otherwise and sounds like a train
5 when I'm sleeping), and as it seems on every how to I have found; acpi
6 is the way it suppose to be.
7 However acpi isn't so nice, since this is what happens (top)
8
9 85:08.20 firefox
10 22:31.57 X
11 309:53.76 kacpid
12
13 after three days of use (notice the 309h of cpu-time). And in powertop,
14
15 15.7% ( inf) <interrupt> : acpi
16
17 acpi takes quite alot of power. And for some reason, sometimes kacpid
18 takes ~80% for many minutes at a time and if I run powertop during
19 that period acpi is responsible for ~90%.
20
21 I thought that acpi was suppose to help with power waste and stuff
22 like that. On a forum I read that HAL is the thing one should use and
23 acpi is going obsolete. However, that doesn't help so much since it
24 seems as HAL depends on a lot of acpi options in the kernel, which are
25 the ones wasting the cpu and power.
26
27 So my questions are:
28 Is acpi suppose to act like this?
29 Can I fix it?
30 If not, whats the proper way to migrate to HAL?
31 Does HAL have cpufreq-tools?
32
33 Any help appreciated.
34
35 /Blå
39 For security reasons, all text in this mail is double-rot13 encrypted.