From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:33:32
1 Rumen Yotov schreef:
2 >>
3 > Hi,
4 > Beside this official Gentoo installer, there's another distro based on
5 > Gentoo, which uses "anaconda" as graphical installer, current version
6 > seems to be 1.1 - it's called VidaLinux google for the site. Never tried
7 > it, so no experience.
8 > But it was paid for a Pro/Full version (support), check their site.
9 > OT: some people think it's rather abusing Gentoo's
10 > development,infrastructure,package system (no flames please ;)
11 > HTH. Rumen
12
13 Not flaming.... but I will say that I installed Gentoo using VidaLinux
14 (there's a couple of thread on the forums about how to turn a Vida
15 install back into 'real' Gentoo, which I utilized).
16
17 It was not a good idea, and I do not recommend it.
18
19 I don't know if Vida is a "good" distro on its own account (as I didn't
20 use it on its own account), so this is not any kind of judgement about
21 the distro itself.
22
23 However, because it's kinda-half-binary based (there's a Club which you
24 can pay to join to get access to a repository of pre-compiled binaries,
25 and I think I read an announcement that it was finally up and running,
26 though presumably still small), because of the backend needed to support
27 Anaconda, and because, while Vida is Gentoo-based, yet not Gentoo, if
28 you use it to install, things will be ... different... than what they
29 "should" be (as per the Handbook, for example), and because the base
30 system is not explicitly documented (afaik) by either Gentoo or Vida
31 (why should it be, after all?), you are not going to know (or will have
32 a very hard time figuring out) what 'extras' Vida might have installed
33 that you don't need, or what aspects of the Gentoo backend you might
34 need that Vida didn't install (because Vida doesn't need them).
35
36 Basically, you wind up reinstalling the entire system again anyway, with
37 all that implies, and while it's all very nice to do that from within
38 an installed system than from the console (unless you had the good sense
39 to use the Alternate Install guide and install from a Knoppix LiveCD
40 boot, or another previously-installed distro), the result is that you
41 get Gentoo, but without that sense of confidence that everything is
42 correctly built, and to your specifications. I still don't know how
43 much, if any, Vida cruft I have hanging around, some two months after I
44 installed.
45
46 And it just wasn't worth it, if I have to lose my confidence that way,
47 to save (admittedly) a big chunk o' time.
48
49 I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, unless they actually
50 wanted to use Vida, in which case, good luck, Godspeed, and hope it
51 works out. I'm a Gentoo user :-) .
52
53 Holly
54 --