From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mantle Open source GPU engine
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:37:18
1 On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:20:43PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> > computer gaming (yawn)...
7 >> Think again.
8 >>
9 >> What is the driving force behind all the super-duper performance
10 >> hardware you have right now?
11 >>
12 >> Gaming.
13 >>
14 >> What is the GPU capable of achieving when parallelized? Well, graphics
15 >> rendering is highly parallelizable and nowadays you see it in render
16 >> farms and Top500 supercomputers. But those didn;t fund it, so what did?
17 >>
18 >> Graphics cards sold to gamers.
19 >>
20 >> Graphics cards for gamers are probably the only thing left really
21 >> keeping the pc market as such going. Yes, there are still millions of
22 >> them on corporate desktops but that is a cut-throat market and at
23 >> what-tiny-number-of-bucks a pop? Bread and butter money, it keeps things
24 >> ticking over and pays the rent. But gamers pay for the bling.
25 >>
26 >> Almost ever awesome performance gain in the last 10 years at least that
27 >> you see in commercial products were driven in whole or in part by the
28 >> primary high performance market - gamers.
29 >>
30 >> Personally, I don't like games much and don't play them much. OK, I
31 >> don't play them at all. But the market they make up - that's different.
32 >> Those egg-heads are very important
33 >
34 > See previous reply in thread to James. This one was not threaded, but rather,
35 > a reply to the OP, so it makes it look as if you haven't read the thread.
36 >
37 > I played one computer game one day in 1990. Lost that entire day to that
38 > stupid game, and never played again. Except...one time for a few hours with a
39 > new friend the second year living in China. He wanted me to play NFS. After
40 > playing a few races with him, I explained that we do this with _real_cars_ on
41 > _real_roads_ in _real_life_ "back in America". It developed from the days of
42 > moonshining, and your car (and you as a driver) weren't anything if you
43 > couldn't outrun the local cops. ;)
44 >
45 > My gaming yawn was a poor, and needless, expression of disgust.
46
47 Next time you yawn that yawn, though, just remember
48
49 The reason Unix was written was to port a game.