From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [half OT] WLAN totally beginners question
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:06:55
1 On Sunday, December 07, 2014 8:10:46 PM meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am just starting to do the first steps in configuring WLAN.
5 > The problem is: This topic seems to be rich of terms, which I
6 > dont know yet how to evaluate: AP, WAP, WEP, FSK...and dozens more.
7 >
8 > Since my use case is very limited I want to configure "just that"
9 > without being urged to achieve my master degree of WLANism after
10 > studying everything this topic consists of only to recognize that
11 > I only need to know about...say...2% of it.
12 >
13 > Background: I have two little Linux boards (Arietta G25) with
14 > a RT5370 Wireless Adapter each.
15 >
16 > I want to make both able to communicate with each other beside
17 > being able to use the ethernet-over-USB connection to enable
18 > the communication with/to my PC.
19 >
20 > The whole thing should be only accessible from the Ariettas. The PC
21 > will not have an wifi adapter.
22
23 You need to setup one of the boards (the one with the ethernet connection) or
24 a PC as an access point, see: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hostapd
25
26 The wifi adapter on the boards must support AP mode for this to work, if it
27 doesn't then you need to setup a PC as an AP or just get a wireless router.
28
29 On the other one just follow the Gentoo installation manual to setup the
30 wireless link.
31
32 > Would be nice, if both could be configured/setup symmetrically, so
33 > no client-server relationship or something hierachical like that is
34 > needed.
35
36 I think 802.11n supports something like that but I'm not sure how it works or
37 if there's support for it on linux.
41 Fernando Rodriguez
42 PGP Key: http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF6CE157FF9525C1C