From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:52:47
1 On 2011-10-30, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > 3) I tried handbrake which requires using an overlay.
4
5 No, it doesn't. You can just grab the ebuild file and use it locally.
6
7 > Handbrake goes directly from DVD to a reasonably sized (1.3GB) m4v
8 > file. That file plays fine in xine and looks very good. Being that the
9 > Kindle Fire only has about 6GB available for user content that gives
10 > me 4 movies at a time which is fine for me but I suspect I can do
11 > better.
12
13 Smaller will generally mean worse looking and longer encoding time.
14
15 > My issue now (I think) is to learn to use ffmpeg to convert from m4v
16 > to mp4.
17
18 You don't need ffmpeg. You just need "mv":
19
20 mv foo.m4v foo.mp4
21
22 > I'd like to see about reducing the file size a bit if
23 > possible. At the same time the native resolution of the Fire is
24 > 1024x600 so I'm wondering about whether I can make the movies look
25 > better by making the mp4 file somehow know about that size.
26
27 If you mean you want the files encoded at a resolution of 1024x600,
28 you can tell handbrake what output resolution you want. You'll get
29 far better results by encoding to the desired resolution, format and
30 bit-rate you want the first time than you will re-encoding a second
31 time.
32
33 You can create your own presets with whatever encoding settings you
34 want.
37 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
38 at No thanks!
39 gmail.com