From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how can I make "emerge --sync" less verbose?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:46:31
1 Am 13.07.2010 18:48, schrieb Jarry:
2 > Hi,
3 > subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
4 > and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
5 > it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
6 > somehow less verbose?
7 >
8 > I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
9 > Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
10 > be nice...
11 >
12 > Jarry
13
14 Portage relies on rsync for it's emerge --sync. You can add extra
15 command line parameters to the rsync call by specifying them in the
16 variable
17 PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
18 in your /etc/make.conf
19
20 Take a look at `man rsync` for a list of possible options and `man
21 make.conf` for a list of all default options.
22
23 For example, you could specify --out-format '.'
24 That way, for every file it will only print a single dot and a line
25 feed. That way, you can still monitor progress with a minimum of traffic.
26
27 Hope this helps,
28 Florian Philipp