From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble with portage
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:55:01
1 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 >
4 >> First of all, a tip: If a portage upgrade is available, do "emerge
5 >> portage" first. New versions of portage often have new or improved
6 >> features - in this case portage 2.1.6 includes, among other things,
7 >> the ability to automatically handle most blockers.
8 >
9 > Though even the portage2.2 pre-releases do not handle all the cases that
10 > should be able to be handled automatically. An example is one which
11 > encountered yesterday - foo-x-y-z was already installed and foo-x-y+1-0
12 > was available for update. There are already installed packages which
13 > have (R)DEPEND="=foo-x.y*" and others with (R)DEPEND=">=foo-x.0.0". So
14 > the already installed foo-x.y.z satisfies all the depends, but the new
15 > foo-x.y+1.0 does not. Yet 'emerge -auDv world' flagged a conflict of
16 > trying to install two versions of an unslotted package - when the
17 > 'obvious' resolution would be keep the already installed version and not
18 > upgrade rather than requiring the user to manually mask the new
19 > version.
20
21 I disagree with you because when I tell emerge to update, it should
22 update rather then not update :P