From: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] high packet loss
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:46:31
1 Hello,
2
3 I wanted to change the router/firewall at a small office lan to hardened
4 gentoo. The machine in question sits between a consumer grade adsl modem
5 and 3 different networks (so a total of 4 eth cards on the server).
6
7 However, there is a high packet loss (25-50%) between server and adsl
8 modem. cat /proc/net/dev reveals high error count on the receive side of
9 the eth card connected to modem (transmit side has no errors). I changed
10 the eth card and the network cable but the problem stays the same.
11
12 The same eth card and cable works without any errors with a FC3 server. I
13 am beginning to think that the errors are because of a faulty (on my part)
14 sofware config.
15
16 I am out of ideas to try. Any pointers to possible causes of high packet
17 loss are highly appreciated.
18
19 Thank you
20 --