From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:53:07
1 On 16/11/2010, at 10:28pm, David W Noon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Again, the defaults are chosen for stability with Gentoo first;
4 > secondly, there are no fixed defaults -- or "out-of-box" configuration
5 > -- from upstream, as the USE flags are simply parameterizing
6 > the ./configure script via autotools.
7
8 I'm not familiar with autotools specifically, but back in the days before I used Gentoo, when there were a couple of packages that weren't in my distro's package manager that I compiled "by hand" I used to just do something like `./configure && make`.
9
10 I could choose to select a different configuration by saying something like `./configure --with-ipv6`, but there were usually 30 or so options for which I made no selection.
11
12 Surely what `./configure` does if I don't make any choice about its compilation option is to be considered a "default"?
13
14 Stroller.