From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 00:08:54
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:49:54 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> > I wonder if the OP is using systemd and trying to read the journal
6 >> > files?
7 >>
8 >> Nooo, I hate systemd ...
9 >>
10 >> What good are log files you can't read?
11 >
12 > You can't read syslog-ng log files without some reading software, usually
13 > a combination of cat, grep and less. systemd does it all with journalctl.
14 >
15 > There are good reasons to not use systemd, this isn't one of them.
16
17 To me it is one of the good reasons, and an important one. Plain text
18 can usually always be read without further ado, be it from rescue
19 systems you booted or with software available on different operating
20 systems. It can be also be processed with scripts and sent as email.
21 You can probably even read it on your cell phone. You can still read
22 log files that were created 20 years ago when they are plain text.
23
24 Can you do all that with the binary files created by systemd? I can't
25 even read them on a working system.
29 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
30 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.