From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: OT: Is EVMS dead?
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:58:54
1 Eric S. Johansson <esj@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Eric S. Johansson <esj@××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
5
6 >> pvcreate /dev/hda vgcreate data /dev/hda lvcreate -L42g data mkfs
7 >> /dev/data/lvol0
8 >>
9 >> What's so hard about that? Does that fit on a postcard?
10 >
11 > it needs a little more detail so a user can extrapolate to what they
12 > need but,
13
14 The detail can be found in the howto; eg. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html
15
16 > What is hard however is developing the postcard level documentation for
17 > disaster
18 > recovery.
19
20 - Get new drive
21 - Do as mentioned above
22 - Get stuff from backup
23
24 Pretty short, if you ask me ;)
25
26 >> -v: pvcreate /dev/hda: Intialize the device as a physical volume (pv), so
27 >> that it can be used by LVM. One time job.
28 >
29 > would need reference physical volume, physical device associations (i.e.
30 > single
31 > disc or hardware raid).
32
33 What?
34
35 > is there any way to display/enumerate them
36 > independent
37 > of non-LVM devices?
38
39 Pardon?
40
41 >> vgcreate data /dev/hda: Create a container called "data" which will hold
42 >> the different sub-containers. The "data" container is made up of the
43 >> /dev/hda physical volume.
44 >
45 > what is a sub container?
46
47 Exactly.
48
49 > why is it needed? when do you need it?
50
51 That's too basic. People asking that kind of question shouldn't be
52 administering a system.
53
54 > do/can
55 > you
56 > create a container spanning multiple devices? When, how, why?
57
58 See howto.
59
60 >> lvcreate -L42g data: Create a logical volume (lv) on the "data" volume
61 >> group (vg). It's sized "42g" (42GiB).
62 >
63 > again, is a logical volume a single physical volume?
64
65 They don't belong together. See the howto.
66
67 > If the volume group
68 > called data (how did it get from container to volume group)
69
70 What?
71
72 > is the same as
73 > the physical volume,
74
75 It isn't. As explained in the howto.
76
77 > why not just use the physical volume?
78
79 What?
80
81 >> mkfs /dev/data/lvol0: Create a file system on the newly created lv.
82 >
83 > in other words, the logical volume is treated by the system in exactly
84 > the same
85 > way as a physical volume.
86
87 Nope.
88
89 > It's a logical disk.
90
91 What?
92
93 > these are just some of the "naïve user" questions that come to mind.
94
95 Those users shouldn't admin a system.
96
97 > They
98 > aren't answers concisely in most of the documentation I have seen. Part
99 > of the reason I say "explain it on a postcard" is because the format
100 > forces you to
101 > focus your thoughts and explain the system concisely.
102
103 And those useless questions are because you wanted a postcard explanation.
104
105 >>> with your users or the implementation is really off.
106 >>
107 >> Nope. Some things simply *ARE* complicated.
108 >
109 > Richard Feynman, a great physicist, once stated that if you can not
110 > explain a (physics) problem at a freshman level then you don't understand
111 > the problem.
112
113 Might be. But you need to have more space than a postcard.
114
115 > Edward Tufte has a series of books on information design
116 > simplifying
117 > complicated things so that you can communicate clearly. Either of these
118 > men are
119 > smarter than you and I put together.
120
121 That's not hard (well, at least as far as being smarter than me is
122 concerned *G*).
123
124 Alexander Skwar
127 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list