From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:48:09
1 On Saturday 23 Jul 2011 07:25:42 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 7/22/2011 9:53 PM, CJoeB wrote:
3 > > Because this will be a new computer and I may essentially void the
4 > > warranty if I alter the pre-configuration, I seriously thought about
5 > > leaving the status quo and putting up with Windows 7. However, I would
6 > > lose practically as much as losing my first born! I would have to put
7 > > up with all the things that bug me about Windows and I wouldn't have all
8 > > the programs that I love in Linux.
9
10 No you don't *have* to put up with Windows 7 - you can shrink the Windows OS
11 partition and install Gentoo in the recovered disk space. See more on this
12 below.
15 > If you are truly concerned about the warranty issue then you
16 > would, of course, want to have someone read the actual
17 > warrant paperwork that you have. However, typically the only
18 > way to void a hardware warranty is to tamper with the hardware.
19 >
20 > If you replace Windows with Linux on a new PC, you will may
21 > lose any free technical support (for software, drivers, etc(
22 > you may be entitled to as long as you continue to run this
23 > "unsupported" condition. But if you actually have faulty
24 > hardware, they aren't going to refuse to replace or repair
25 > it just because you installed software. Plus, Dell in
26 > particular "supports" Linux in a marginally useful way on
27 > some of their laptops, so they do have self-help information
28 > that would be relevant to you on their site.
29
30 Strictly speaking this may be true, however, you try and reason over the
31 telephone with some support person in a foreign country, who's reading from a
32 script and keeps asking you to reboot the machine or run the Dell diagnostics
33 <aheam!> spyware that originally came with it!
34
35 I seem to recall a case where a user wiped their drive clean and installed
36 Ubuntu or some such. The laptop went faulty and the person asked for it to be
37 repaired/replaced under warranty, only to be told that this could not be
38 honoured without the original OS on the machine! I think it was this one:
39
40 http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114250
41
42 I believe that after the media got involved the OEM backtracked and fixed the
43 laptop, but is this something you would want to have to argue through just so
44 that they fix your *new* machine?
45
46 Plus, there may be a legal and legitimate case for Dell to refuse to
47 a)diagnose the problem without the OEM software and OS installed; and b)they
48 could potentially argue that your Linux OS and your configuration could have
49 somehow hammered the drive/NIC/Video card etc to the point of causing a
50 hardware failure. I couldn't blame them for not wanting to look into your
51 hdparm settings or what not. ;-)
54 > In the worst case, if you needed to ship your machine back
55 > to the manufacturer for repairs, you should receive a set of
56 > restore media with any new PC that would allow you to put
57 > your system back to factory default, and make your
58 > manufacturer more than satisfied.
59
60 These days the restore media are often on a separate partition on the drive.
63 This is what I did with my Dell as soon as I got it:
64
65 1. Burned a SystemRescue CD.
66
67 2. Booted the laptop with the CD. Note: You should immediately press F2 to
68 get into BIOS to enable booting from DVD drive, before the Dell FreeDOS system
69 boots up and the Dell Windows 7 install script starts running).
70
71 3. Used PartImage or dd or similar to create back up images for each Dell
72 partition. (There were 3 partitions in total: Dell recovery OS, a MSWindows
73 boot partition and the main Windows 7 OS partition.)
74
75 4. Then you need to decide if you're going with a dual boot system, or Gentoo
76 only.
77
78 I decided to have a dual boot system, rather than having to restore from
79 scratch if there was a warranty claim. So here is what I did next:
80
81 5. Used qparted to shrink Windows 7 to something like 50G - you may need/want
82 more than that. Now boot fully into Windows 7 and let it run chkdsk *without*
83 interrupting it (takes ages). Once you make sure your Windows 7 can boot up
84 and works as promised you can move on with installing Gentoo.
85
86 6. Created new partitions (swap, /boot, /, /home, /var, /usr/portage),
87 formatted them and then installed Gentoo as per the guidebook. Except for
88 installing GRUB.
89
90 7. I installed GRUB in the /boot partition, *not* in the MBR of /dev/sda -
91 just in case Dell were to decided to decline support because I interfered with
92 the MBR. Instead I used the Windows 7 boot loader to chainload my GRUB boot
93 code. For details on this you can have a look here:
94
95 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/227265
96
97 YMMV because Dell and MSWindows may have changed the way the do things at
98 first run. So please don't blame me if the above suggestions don't work out
99 for you! ;-)
100
101 HTH.
102 --