From: Olaf Krause <gentoo_ac@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where should i ask Gentoo/Xen/hardware questions?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:41:14
1 >> Hello,
2 >>
3 >> first: where should I ask the following question?
4 >>
5 >> We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels
6 >> as Dom0 and DomU.
7 >> Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
8 >> * HP Proliant DL380 G4
9 >> * HP Proliant DL380 G6
10 >>
11 >> Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts
12 >> operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems
13 >> not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
14 >>
15 >> I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
16 >> here:
17 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
18 >>
19 >> Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
20 >> install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
21 >>
22 >> I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI disks
23 >> with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...), copy
24 >> a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub shell
25 >> make it bootable.
26 >>
27 >> Attached is a screen shot with the error message.
30 > Is this screenshot from a domU or dom0 ? If it's from a domU then I
31 > think that in Xen you have a different driver than cciss for the
32 > disks.
33 >
34 > If it's from a dom0, are you sure that you have the cciss driver
35 > built-in instead of a module ? From the screenshot it seems that it's
36 > not present at the point the kernel is booting.
37
38 It is the screenshot of the Dom0. And yes - also for me the driver seems
39 not to be available during boot time. But i am sure to have it build in.
40 And on older hardware (G3 - generation 3 HP hardware) the same kernel
41 seems to work, mounting the cciss devices.
42
43 Here is what mount says in the same kernel on a G3 hardware (sorry for
44 the linebreaks):
45 ----
46 orion ~ # mount
47 /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
48 proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
49 sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
50 udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=10240k,mode=755)
51 devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
52 /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 on /mnt/xen2 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
53 shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
54 usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
55 ---
56
57 Should I try to fix the Xen-Kernel from Gentoo with some HP driver
58 source code? Or could it be a completly other issue?