From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to test package install?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 07:15:16
1 On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > I'm trying to test my package by running "ebuild /path/to/pkg.ebuild
4 > install". Naturally (for me) I do this as an unprivileged user, not as
5 > root. It fails because at least some steps such as dobin need to give
6 > away ownership of the files being installed. I tried to run the whole
7 > thing including compilation under fakeroot but that doesn't help.
8 >
9 > If it is relevant (but I don't think it is) my user _is_ in the portage
10 > group.
11 >
12 > What is the accepted or usual way to do this task?
13 >
14 > --
15 > Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
16 > if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
17 > To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
18 > which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.
21 You can normally build as yourself. Install requires root typically due to
22 write permissions on *bin and /etc.
23
24 You can probably come up with a clever way to do this, but by far the
25 easiest is the classic:
26
27 sudo ebuild /path/to/pkg.ebuild install
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com