From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash wizardry needed: PATH and MANPATH grow and grow and grow
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:42:57
1 On Saturday 03 June 2006 16:11, znx <znxster@×××××.com> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] bash wizardry needed: PATH and MANPATH grow and grow and
3 grow':
4 > On 27/05/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Open to debate. I'd think it's not very dangerous at the *end* of
6 > > the PATH.
7 >
8 > True, I have modified the script so that a . may enter the PATH (etc)
9 > only as the final entry. Also good point about ~/bin .. it is just as
10 > dangerous.
11
12 Actually, it's not as dangerous. ~/bin is a well-known location that is
13 (normally) only writable by the user themselves. '.' is a floating
14 location, that may (from time to time) refer to a directory that is
15 world-writable like /tmp, /var/tmp, or /dev/shm.
16
17 Having '.' in your path allows arbitrary guest users to run programs with
18 your permissions. Putting it at the end of your PATH prevents them from
19 shadowing existing commands, but doesn't prevent them from taking
20 advantage of typos.
21
22 Having ~/bin or even just ~ in your PATH does not open this security hole
23 unless you also make that directory world writable.
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh