From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbrake: Is it is or is it ain't in portage
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:00:28
1 On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Indexer <indexer@××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
7 > > Well, I'm a newb in video, but it was suggested to me by someone who uses
8 > > it, so I wanted to try.
9 >
10 > Mplayer comes with a program called mencoder, which will do your video
11 > encoding. Its a bit more "hands on" but it is excellent once you learn it.
14 > > My underling thing, if anyone can make other suggestions, is that my
15 > camera
16 > > broke, and I had to get
17 > > one in a hurry, and didn't really know what to look for. I wound up with
18 > a
19 > > fairly good Sanyo 1080p camera
20 > > and video recorder that's super light, and not too expensive. The
21 > problem
22 > > is that its videos are MP4s,
23 > > which are definitely not ready to put on a web site, and I know nothing
24 > > about transcoding. My previous
25 > > camera took acceptable .avi videos, which had worked with most folks
26 > > browsers. The MP4s are huge
27 > > and in a weakly supported format.
28 >
29 > IIRC, isnt MP4 just a container? what are the video codecs and audio codecs
30 > in the file? If they are 264 and mp3, you should be able to use HTML5 for
31 > them natively.
32 >
33 > MP4 is actually gaining alot of support in many OSes due to it being part
34 > of the HTML5 spec.
35 >
36 > [major snippage]
37
38 Well, there you go. Among the things I've just learned:
39 1) There are containers
40 2) Codec != container
41 3) Video and Audio are encoded one from column A and one from column B.
42
43 I hope this gives you an idea of what a newb I am. Please calibrate
45 H.264 codec.
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD