From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: iptables w/ 2 web servers
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:58:16
1 On 24 Sep 2009, at 16:30, James wrote:
2 > ...
3 > So the best I can do is forward all traffic( 80, 443, etc) for the
4 > group of websites to a proxy behind the firewall, then use software
5 > such as what kashani suggested (proxypass, Squid, ngnix,
6 > lighttpd, or Varnish) and parse the traffic with some form of
7 > vhosts implementation on a single server (nated IP)?
8
9 I think you can simply forward to server A. If the site is on server A
10 then it's served, if it's on server B then in the vhosts for that site
11 on server A you can proxy for server B. Of course if server A goes
12 down then you're stuffed.
13
14 > Then if the load of the combined virtual hostings becomes too large,
15 > I use a group (cluster) of servers that and implement some sort of
16 > load
17 > balancing across the machines that each contain complete copies of
18 > each website?
19 >
20 > Then there is the question of how to keep the individual machines
21 > 'in sync' and the limitation that once a machine is saturated
22 > (performance
23 > suffers too much due to insufficient resources) there
24 > is no solution for expansion?
25
26 This surely exceeds what you'll be hosting on a NATted home connection?
27
28 > One last thing. I can get a small subnet of say 5 IP address from my
29 > ISP for an additional 20/month. That that help me? I want to put up
30 > dozens of small charitable web sites. None will have a huge user base,
31 > but I was going to stream some limited video from each of them.
32
33 Yes, this certainly overcomes the original problem. You have a
34 separate IP for each server and the DNS for each site directs
35 appropriately.
36
37 Not all routers support this configuration and, 5 years ago, I found
38 it a little cumbersome to set it up in Linux (it's called "bridging").
39 No doubt the situation has improved a lot since then.
40
41 Stroller.