From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lyx & texlive
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:23:21
1 Willie Wong ha scritto:
2 > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:16:46AM +0200, Penguin Lover b.n. squawked:
3 >> Whoa. I didn't know anything about that. Thanks for you linking that.
4 >> BTW, where should I have read the announcement of that stuff?
5 >
6 > Behold! The Power of Google!
7 >
8 > I wanted to test out the TeX Live ebuild (partly because it
9 > includes some fonts that are not distributed by the standard vanilla
10 > tetex; partly because tetex is EOLed and I need to find a migration
11 > path), so I thought, "The ebuild's been in the tree for ${DEITY}-knows
12 > how long and somebody *must* have done it already; furthermore, I see
13 > all these USE flags and it must be complicated, so if somebody's done
14 > it, he or she *must* have blogged about it."
15 >
16 > With that in mind, I typed "gentoo texlive" into Google. Not exactly
17 > what I expected to find, but more than satisfactory.
18
19 ehm, I guess I wasn't clear.
20 You *already* knew:
21 - That there are texlive and tetex
22 - That tetex was EOLed and texlive was the next choice
23 - That tetex and texlive are mutually exclusive
24 - That the ebuild was in the tree
25
26 I knew, instead:
27 - You want to install latex, this usually pushes down tetex. I always
28 had tetex, on Gentoo and non-Gentoo distros, and I didn't ask myself
29 anything about texlive.
30 - I even *didn't know* there is texlive. Why should I have known? tetex
31 works. I don't care how it works, I use Kile, pdflatex, and if it
32 happily generates my ph.d. thesis, I don't dive into the details.
33 - I didn't certainly know tetex was into problems: was there a
34 widespread announcement of that *for people not following tetex
35 development*?
36 - Knowing nothing about what tetex, texlive etc. are, I even could
37 expect that they could happily live together (e.g., if they are two
38 implementations of tex, that one could eselect one or the other. Naive,
39 but why not?)
40 - Knowing nothing about texlive, I couldn't know there was its ebuild.
41 - If I wasnt' currently writing a paper with latex, I probably would
42 have even ignored this thread. The fact I'm currently dealing again with
43 latex after a 2-year interval led me curiously to see what was it all
44 about. From the title, I thought that texlive was something like lyx and
45 people were asking for a comparison...what a surprise.
46
47 Furthermore, kudos to your prudence: seeing a lot of use flags never
48 raised me thoughts like "it must be complicated": it just lets me think
49 "whoa, lots of nice options!".
50
51 Apart from this last point, that may just me being dense, where was that
52 knowledge announced? Was it in the GMN (in that case, my fault)? Is
53 there something else that I should regularly check for stuff like that?
54 (another thing was the expat upgrade, which I understood was troublesome
55 only from posts on this ML). I am subscribed to gentoo-announce, but
56 there only a huge mass of GLSA are usually posted. What news source am I
57 missing? Since it's 4 years I use Gentoo, I feel quite sad about that...
58
59 m.
60 --
61 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list