From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange outbound requests
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:49:55
1 >> > `watch` isn't going to help too much unless you're looking at it. Append
2 >> > the output to some log file instead. I chose netstat because its output
3 >> > looked easier to parse with a stupid regexp.
4 >> >
5 >> >  while true; do
6 >> >    netstat -antp | grep ':993 ' >> mystery.log;
7 >> >    sleep 1;
8 >> >  done;
9 >> >
10 >> > You'll want to change the port -- I tested to make sure that was really
11 >> > logging my Thunderbird connections.
12 >>
13 >> I'm still getting the blocked outbound requests to port 3680 on my
14 >> firewall and I'm running the above script (changed 993 to 3680) on the
15 >> local system indicated by SRC in the firewall log, but mystery.log
16 >> remains empty.  I tested the script with other ports and it seems to
17 >> be working fine.
18 >>
19 >> Also the MAC indicated in the firewall log is 14 blocks long and the
20 >> local system in question has a MAC address 6 blocks long according to
21 >> ifconfig, but the 6 blocks from ifconfig do match 6 of the blocks
22 >> reported by the firewall.
23 >>
24 >> Does this make sense to anyone?
25 >
26 > Does not make sense to me, sorry.  :-(
27 >
28 > Have you tried running the script on lsof instead?
29
30 OK I changed 'netstat -antp' to 'lsof -i'.
31
32 - Grant