From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] who needs Java ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:22:25
1 On 08/15/2011 04:47 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I looked at updating to the latest Libreoffice 3.4.2.3
3 > & found it wants to install a long list of deps,
4 > many of which seem to be caused by my 'java' USE flag.
5 > As a result, I checked my home-made list of installed pkgs
6 > to see which were part of Java & why they seemed to be needed.
7 > Not a few proved to be unnecessary today,
8 > but the rest depend on 4 underlying pkgs,
9 > ie Libreoffice Cups Libidn (for KDE 3 , which I want) Db (for Libreoffice).
10 >
11 > If I remove 'java' from make.conf ,
12 > which features will I lose in LO Cups KDE3 ?
13 > Is there anything else I've overlooked ?
16 You'll lose the ability to run java applets, commonly found on the web
17 for many critical things.
20 Nilesh Govindarajan
21 http://nileshgr.com