From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:14:12
1 Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 >Richard Fish schrieb:
6 >>Pupeno wrote:
10 >>>>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory well
16 >>>suported.
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>Dm-crypt is fairly well supported, since it is in the kernel, but I find
22 >>it to be harder to setup
26 >hard to setup? How? What's hard about it?
27 >
28 >You just encrypt the block device and create an fs on it.
29 >
30 >/sbin/lvcreate -nToBeEnc -L5g sys \
31 > && echo 'sekret' | /bin/cryptsetup create Crypted /dev/sys/ToBeEnc \
32 > && mkfs -t reiser4 /dev/mapper/Crypted \
33 > && mount /dev/mapper/Crypted /some/where
34 >
35 >Obviously, the lvcreate and mkfs steps are just a one time step :)
40 First, I did not say dm-crypt was "hard to setup". I said I find it
41 harder to be setup than loop-AES. Please quote me correctly. :-)
42
43 Have you used both loop-AES and dm-crypt? I have.
44
45 If you want to know what, specifically, I find more difficult about
46 cryptsetup, it is the documentation. The grand sum of documentation
47 available for dm-crypt/cryptsetup after doing an 'emerge cryptsetup' is
48 "cryptsetup --help". Not terribly informative compared to "man losetup"
49 or /usr/share/doc/loop-aes-3.0d/README.gz.
50
51 And yes, I know there are better guides online, but it is not always
52 possible to go online.
53
54 Also, I wanted to be able to change my password. With loop-AES, this is
55 a simple matter of re-encrypting my key file with a new password.
56 cryptsetup makes this more difficult. Not impossible, just more difficult.
57
58 <advice>
59 Also, echoing your password on a command line to cryptsetup is an
60 extremely bad idea. If an attacker happens to be on your system at that
61 moment, a simple 'ps' will show them your passphrase. Even if you are
62 not worried about that, you should still take special precautions
63 regarding the shell history file. Otherwise all someone has to do is
64 crack your system while it is up and cat your .bash_history file.
65 </advice>
66
67 >>and less 'flexible' than loop-AES (the changing
68 >>passphrase thing, for example).
72 >Any other example?
76 Sure:
77
78 o Ability to specify encryption parameters in fstab.
79 o Automatic cleanup of the encrypted device when the filesystem is
80 unmounted.
81 o Additional security options, if someone really requires them.
82
83 -Richard
86 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list