From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 08:30:07
1 On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, Wols Lists wrote:
2
3 > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 03:54:48
4 > From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tried desktop profile
8 >
9 > On 13/10/20 07:48, J. Roeleveld wrote:
10 > > On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 8:28:01 AM CEST Andreas Fink wrote:
11 > >> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 02:10:04 -0400
12 > >>
13 > >> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com> wrote:
14 > >>> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated
15 > >>> program cc1plus compilation terminated.
16 > >>
17 > >> These two lines stongly suggest that you ran out of memory while
18 > >> compilation. You could try to build it with only one job (-j1),
19 > >> currently you are using -j2.
20 > >> Another option would be to buy more RAM ;)
21 > >> And last but not least, you could increase your swap memory, but be
22 > >> prepared that your system becomes unresponsive and compilation will
23 > >> probably take forever.
24 > >
25 > > One more suggestion, your PORTAGE_TMPDIR is set to "/var/tmp".
26 > > By default, this is a tmpfs, which means it's all kept in RAM.
27 >
28 > If that's true then somebody has ****ed up!
29 >
30 > /tmp is specified as "files may disappear at any time"
31 >
32 > /var/tmp is specified as "temporary storage that should survive a reboot"
33 >
34 > Okay, that's not the exact wording, but that is the effect.
35 > >
36 > > If your system is that low on RAM, you might want to change that to a
37 > > different location that is backed by a real disk.
38 > >
39 > The other thing about default tmpfs, is it defaults to half of ram. So
40 > it could actually be quite small. I explicitly set mine to be big,
41 > because I configure oodles of swap.
42 >
43 > Cheers,
44 > Wol
45 >
46 I'm trying -j1 first. This machine has 50% of its maximum ram capacity
47 in use and only has 2gb of ram capacity so yes this is a low memory
48 machine. Why I'm using it at all is since it has available a 3tb hard
49 drive. As long as /tmp directories under the $HOME directory structure
50 have better system protection than /tmpfs and /var/tmp if the -j1 build
51 fails I'll try pointing the memory to a safer place. I need to buy some
52 decent sized ssd drives since that way I can do this on my new machine
53 with 14GB of ram.