From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Usb over Ethernet: The rise and fall of one usb0 ;)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:09:35
1 On 2014-11-19, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > the little Linux board Arietta G25 has a ethernet over usb feature --
4 > no real PHY, no RJ45 plug/jack.
5
6 I don't understand.
7
8 Regardless of the bus between the CPU and the Ethernet controller
9 (USB, PCI, ISA, PCI-express), and regardless of the connector between
10 the Ethernet PHY and the cable (RJ45, M12, etc.) you have to have a
11 PHY, or it's not Ethernet.
12
13 [There is one exception to this: the old 15-pin D-sub AUI connector
14 could be use to directly interconnect to Ethernet controllers via an
15 AUI hub without using any PHYs. But, I haven't seen anything with an
16 AUI interface on it for 20 years.]
17
18 Or are you talking about some _other_ protocol that's being run over
19 USB that presents to the Linux network layer the same API as that
20 implemented by Ethernet drivers?
23 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I want you to MEMORIZE
24 at the collected poems of
25 gmail.com EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY
26 ... BACKWARDS!!