From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:57:59
1 On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 01:11:23 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 10:34:27 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:24:48 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > > I more and more get the feeling that linux is standardising on the
6 > > > > Gnome desktop, which I really just DO NOT get on with.
7 > > >
8 > > > Nor I. it's second only to M$ in its arrogance.
9 > >
10 > > I have three gnome packages installed on this KDE box. One is the tiny
11 > > package that started this thread, and is GNOME only in name, the other
12 > > two are dependencies of XFCE, which I also have installed.
13 > >
14 > > I see no GNOME takeover, beyond the fact that many distros are
15 > > choosing GNOME as their default desktop.
16 >
17 > I didn't suggest it's taking over the world, just that it deliberately
18 > hides all useful configuration data from the user, just to save the
19 > devs from having to explain themselves.We know what you need better
20 > than you do, so just be a good boy and take your medicine.
21 >
22 > Just like M$.
23 >
24 There I agree with you. With dconf they've even got a registry.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 OK Scotty, NOW! Detonate and energize! I mean.......