From: Fredrik Lundgren <fredrik.bg.lundgren@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ... fails to open device '/dev/hda2' after update
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:47:01
Dear list,

I haven't used my Gentoo for more than half a year or so (it was well
updated then) so the other night I made an update

emerge --update system

and all appeared to go well (lots of updates) but when I rebooted i got
----
* checking root filesystem ...
Failed to open the device '/dev/hda2': No such file or directory
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed: (Give root password for maintenance
    (or Control D to continue):_
---
Well I changed to root and tried
---
df
Filesystem    1K-block    used            Available    Use%    Mount on
                    35152904   8113240     27039664    24%    /
---
and

---
fsck -t resierfs /dev/hda2 (Confirmed with Yes)
Failed to open the device '/dev/hda2': No such file or directory
---
The file system is there as I can use nano and navigate in the directory
hierarchy and visit files.
I have, in Win XP, tested the partitions with 'Acronis Disk Director
Suite' and they look OK
and don't have any errors.

Please, how should this be fixed?

Best wishes from a somewhat desperate Fredrik