From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] - What SATA CD-R/DVD-R drive manufacturer to buy?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:38:25
1 On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > My 5-year old gentoo-AMD64 machine when up in smoke this week so I'm
4 > building a new machine. Most parts are on order but one big change
5 > these days is the motherboards I want to purchase no longer support
6 > EIDE/ATAPI interfaces so I'll have to get a new CD-R/DVD-R drive to
7 > get the OS loaded and for writing mostly audio discs using
8 > cdda2wav/cdrecord. While I understand firmware is often a problem on
9 > these drives I'm wondering what drive manufacturers folks would
10 > recommend these days as having the best results with cdrecord?
11
12 I have a cheap Sony Optiarc (formerly NEC?) and it has worked fine for
13 me for ripping and burning audio CDs, DVD+/-R (single and dual layer).
14 It cost around $25 USD. I don't know if it is better or worse than any
15 other brand but it seems to work for me anyway.