From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I deamonize every service?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:52:54
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, LK <linuxrocksrulers@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2012, Feb 14, Tuesday,  13:30, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>  -b, --background
4 >>             Background immediately.  This is useful for startup
5 >>             scripts which don't disable link messages for carrier
6 >>             status.
7 >>
8 >> So to use that option, edit /etc/conf.d/net and use:
9 >>
10 >>  dhcpcd_eth0="--background"
11 > That works.
12 >
13 > On Arch Linux there is a variable with all important things to
14 > be run, like dhcpcd, ssh, apache, and so on. If I want i can
15 > simply prepend a '@' to be begin to start it in the background.
16 > I miss that ease on gentoo, where i dont want to wait
17 > for sshd or  dhcpcd to start. Now the above solution for
18 > dhcpcd is not general.
19 >
20 > I dont want to take the specific way for each service.
21 >
22 > TIA.
23
24 If you emerge ifplugd it should automatically let network start
25 immediately at boot, and then do the actual connection in the
26 background. It also handles unplug/plugging of the cable without you
27 needing to do anything.