From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird hibernate problem
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:35:13
1 Hi Timur, we need a lot more information:
2
3 what kernel version
4 in kernel or ToI hibernation
5 are you using genkernel
6 separate /usr
7 lvm
8
9 and anything else applicable.
10
11 Hibernation can be a pig to get going.
12
13 BillK
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
19 Reply-to: gentoo-user@l.g.o
20 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
21 Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird hibernate problem
22 Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:06:17 +0300
23
24 After corrupting my gentoo root filesystem system during hibernate
25 experiments, I have finally finished the reinstallation. But hibernate
26 still doesn't seem to work correctly. The symptoms are the same as
27 during the experiments leading to the root fs corruption, but this time
28 the root seems to remain intact.
29
30 Here is what happened during the first experiment. I had an 8G swap
31 partition as /dev/sda5 and a data partition as /dev/sda6. Thinking that
32 pm-hibernate requires a dedicated, separate partition, I backed up
33 /dev/sda6, turned off swap at /dev/sda5, deleted /dev/sda[56] and then
34 created /dev/sda5 (8G), /dev/sda6 (8G) and /dev/sda7 (remaining size)
35 Then I specified /dev/sda6 as the resume partition on the kernel command
36 line.
37
38 But when I did the pm-hibernate, the system powered off, and after
39 reboot, the system seemed to have restored itself to the state it was at
40 when I ran pm-hibernate. So it "seemed" to have worked, but the system
41 was strangely unstable. There were many filesystem errors in the root
42 partition and when I did a ps ax, I saw hundreds of kworker kernel
43 threads lingering around. It was as if the hibernate image was slightly
44 corrupted, but not enough to cause a complete lockup, but enough to
45 cause there strange symptoms.
46
47 I first thought this was related to using the swap partition as the
48 resume destination. But after reinstalling gentoo, I again used a
49 separate partition for hibernate, but I am still seeing the same
50 symtoms. Many kworker kernel threads are sleeping. But this time, the
51 root filesystem didn't have any error. Concerned that a filesystem
52 corruption is imminent, I immediately turned off power.
53
54 So, what could be causing these strange problems? Based on what I have
55 read so far, the resume partition needs to be an active swap partition.
56 This seems rather strange, because linux is using the swap partition for
57 memory management as well. So shouldn't these be well separated to
58 prevent corrupting each other?
59
60 Hope someone can help me make sense of all of this...