From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Interface eth0 does not exist - e1000e/e1000
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:49:13
1 Hi,
2 I've been helping a friend over the phone who's trying to fix a
3 networking problem. This machine was built a month ago running
4 something like 2.6.39-gentoo-r2. Networking worked great. I do not
5 know what driver it was using, but it worked great.
6
7 Two weeks ago we updated the machine to 3.0-0-gentoo and I think
8 networking was working fine however I never logged in and never tested
9 the network interface. The owner believes it was working, at least for
10 a while, but it isn't now. When we boot now we get the message:
11
12 "Interface eth0 does not exist"
13
14 which typically happens when you don't have the correct driver
15 installed. The system is loading the e1000e driver but we're not able
16 to start net.eth0.
17
18 lspci -k says the e1000e driver is in use, and e1000e is in memory.
19
20 We then tested again with the original 2.6.39 kernel and found that
21 even with that kernel, which I absolutely know worked at one time
22 because I built the machine over the Internet for him, it no longer
23 works. That kernel is also loading e1000e.
24
25 We then booted from the Gentoo LiveCD and found that the LiveCD is
26 also loading e1000e and that with the LiveCD everything is working
27 perfectly. I can ssh into the box, he can ping Google. Everything is
28 cool with the e1000e driver using the Live CD, but not using the
29 kernels we build.
30
31 At this point I set up the chroot install environment, dropped in
32 to build a new kernel. I did a make clean && make && make
33 modules_install. Everything built fine. I copied it over to /boot,
34 rebooted and still have the same problem. e1000e is loaded but says
35 the the interface doesn't exist.
36
37 The net.eth0 link exists in /etc/init.d, and trying to start
38 networking using .etc.init.d/net.eth0 yields the same error.
39
40 What am I doing wrong here? How come it used to work, and still
41 works from the CD, but won't work from his old or new kernels?
42
43 Thanks,
44 Mark