From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MythTV users - read before updating to 0.19
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:40:28
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I just wasted an hour so I thought maybe I could save someone else
4 > the problems. The new MythTV 0.19 rev that's out in portage doesn't
5 > work with an older mythbackend server running version 0.18. Apparently
6 > you have to update both ends at the same time. Of course portage is
7 > not smart enough to know the server is running elsewhere on the
8 > network and save me the problem so I'm dropping back to the 0.18
9 > frontend on my desktop.
10
11 This has, I think, always been the case. I once emerged a newer
12 frontend, connected back to the server and it didn't work. Worse, by
13 connecting it the frontend UPDATED the mysql tables, so the backend
14 ceased functioning altogether (...!). A nice DoS.
15
16 I wrote to the mythtv list regarding this behaviour (I called it a bug)
17 but it was deemed neccessary ie. not a bug at all since some extensions
18 in the frontend run standalone (like weather, etc.) so the frontend has
19 to update the db. I was not satisfied with that answer, but what can
20 you do...
21
22 I has no other than updating the backend too, since there is no rollback
23 possibility. The next MythTV update I do will have to be carefully
24 planned, since I deploy one backend and 4 frontends...
25
26 Maybe this behaviour has changed by now though, since from your post I
27 gather your backend still works fine.
28
29 Still, my strong advice is: always always backup the mysql db before
30 attempting to connect ANY newer version MythTV frontend.
33 > I hope this saves someone else the time.
34
35 Hear hear.
36
37 Maarten