From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 17:09:30
1 On Saturday 03 May 2014 14:17:53 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > With genkernel, I have a lvm and mdadm boot parameter.
4 > With dracut, that might also be necessary.
5 >
6 > I would prefer the initramfs to do it automagically without extra
7 > parameters.
8
9 Hope I'm not butting in here, but...
10
11 Although I don't run systemd nor do I have an initramfs, the grub.conf entry
12 for my LVM2 setup is just these two lines:
13
14 title=Gentoo Linux 3.12.13
15 kernel /boot/kernel-x86_64-3.12.13-gentoo root=/dev/md5 net.ifnames=0
16
17 I've noticed several times (often much to my annoyance before I discovered
18 what to do about it*) that starting of the raid arrays is automatic,
19 apparently done by the kernel though I could be wrong about that. In fact I
20 was astonished to find not long ago that I'd been running for a year or two
21 with neither lvm2 nor mdraid installed!
22
23 * SystemRescueCD and the Gentoo minimal installation CD both start any raid
24 arrays they find and apply their own names to them. It is then impossible, or
25 so I thought, to resume an interrupted installation process. Of course, all I
26 had to do was "mdadm --stop /dev/md127" etc.
29 Regards
30 Peter